OnlyOneOf debuted as a 7-member boy group with dual title tracks “savanna” and “time-leap” under 8D Entertainment on May 28th, 2019. Led by veteran creative director Jaden Jeong (the visionary behind the LOONA verse and tripleS), the group has stayed true to its name, exploring concepts that continue to break taboos within the idol industry. With their unique alternative R&B sound and sensual vocal style, OnlyOneOf stands strong on a niche that breaks boundaries and crosses lines few others have dared to. Welcome to POP TOKKI’s guide to one-of-a-kind 4th generation group, OnlyOneOf!
MEET THE MEMBERS!
OnlyOneOf is currently comprised of 6 members: KB, Rie, Yoojung, Junji, Mill, and Nine. On August 2, 2021, the group announced the withdrawal of Love, the original leader and main vocalist, for personal reasons, and the group continued as a sextet. Learn more about the members of OnlyOneOf below!
Position: Sub-vocalist, main dancer
Birthday: May 29, 1997
- Yoojung has been friends with WOODZ, GOT7’s Yugyeom, Pentagon’s Kino, and AB6IX’s Woong since. The friend group is referred to as Hanlim’s F5.
- Yoojung’s real name is Taeyeob, but people often confuse his stage name with the real one because it suits him so well.
- Yoojung is very serious about studying Mandarin and has been learning the language for years. He loves to share his progress with the fans.
- Yoojung is known for swearing a lot among the members. This is something he does not show to fans.
- He has shared many anecdotes about strangers (and even his members!) confusing him as a woman due to his androgynous looks
Check out Yoojung’s solo song: “begin,” here!
Position: Vocalist, producer
Birthday: April 23, 1992
- KB was the first member to complete his military service, doing so before becoming a trainee.
- Before his debut, he had prepared to become a police officer as well as a comedian.
- KB worked a plethora of jobs before his debut, including HR services and at a cafe.
- He accidentally passed his idol audition thinking he was auditioning to become an actor.
Check out KB’s solo song: “be free,” here!
Position: Lead vocalist, lead dancer
Birthday: April 6, 1998
- Junji is known as the most mysterious member of the group. Very little of his past is public knowledge.
- Junji is often mistaken to be of Japanese nationality due to his stage name. His real name is Kim Junhyung.
- He was second out of all the members of OnlyOneOf to join the company as a trainee.
- He is known for his unique, genderless hairstyles.
- He is often mistaken as an introvert due to his quiet demeanor, but he is actually an extrovert.
Check out Junji’s solo song, “be mine,” here!
Position: Lead vocalist, lead dancer, choreographer
Birthday: November 6, 1996
- One of Rie’s childhood dreams was to grow up to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- When he was young, his English names were Bread and Jack.
- Rie passed the auditions of many big companies but was always eliminated in the final round. He decided that if he continued to fail, he would enlist in the military at age 22.
- Rie takes on the role of choreographer along with Yoojung and Junji. He often leads the members in the practice room and edits guide choreography to create the best possible end product for the group’s performances!
Check out Rie’s solo song, “because,” here!
Position: Main rapper
Birthday: March 30, 1999
- Originally slated to fill a vocal position, Mill learned to rap for the first time as he prepared to join OnlyOneOf.
- Mill has been passionate about sports since childhood, particularly soccer. He has been spotted playing soccer countless times, sometimes joining other famous idols.
- There was a time when “Han River” was in consideration for his stage name. Not much has been revealed about why “Mill” was chosen, outside of the charm of it being one syllable.
- The other members often cite him as the most selfless in the group, noting his willingness to give up his bed and other personal items without complaint!
Check out Mill’s solo song, “beat,” here!
Position: Vocalist, leader, producer
Birthday: December 13, 1999
- Nine was accepted into college as a cosmetic biotechnology major.
- His childhood dream was to become a perfumer.
- Nine has a heavy hand in the production and composition of OnlyOneOf’s albums, to the extent of editing the group’s highlight medleys himself.
- “Jungwoo” was one of the candidates for Nine’s stage name.
- Nine is both the maknae and leader of the group, carrying on the title following the withdrawal of member Love.
Check out Nine’s solo song, “beyond,” here!
SONGS TO GET YOU STARTED!
What better place to start than the group’s debut? “Sensual and intimate, “savanna” guides you on a unique journey than the usual 4th generation boy group title track. Despite its mellow exterior, “savanna” commands all attention as it envelops the listener in its atmospheric yet quirky soundscape. The track’s intensity crackles and fades like a burning flame, passionately lighting up again when you least expect it. The cheeky double entendre in the chorus is the cherry-on-top, solidifying debut track “savanna” as a fitting centerpiece for everything OnlyOneOf stands for.
It’s impossible to talk about OnlyOneOf without bringing up what many see as their magnum opus, “libidO.” The 2021 hit comes off of their 3rd mini album, ‘Instinct Pt.1,’ and quickly became a career-defining moment for the group. Still their most viewed music video to date, the release marked a turning point in terms of the explicitness with which the group tackled “taboo” topics and themes. Set against the backdrop of a moody Jeju Island, the evocative music video seemingly makes subtle nods to various queer films, as the member’s deepest instinctual urges throw them into complex emotional battles within themselves, and against each other.
There’s no better example of what makes OnlyOneOf a one-of-a-kind group than their 2020 single, “dOra maar.” While it lacks a music video, “dOra maar” makes up for it with endlessly nuanced lyricism and choreography that even the most dedicated of fans continue to uncover years later. The track refers to the artist Picasso’s muse and lover of the same name, spinning a dual-sided tale of toxic love and objectification through its thematic connections to “picassO,” which OnlyOneOf released in 2019 on their debut album, ‘dot point jump.’ While both songs are seemingly sung from the perspective of Picasso himself, “dOra maar” uncovers the ugly truth underneath the surface of the famous couple’s love story. The track is a part of the group’s “Art Pop” series, which, while not officially defined, seems to refer to OnlyOneOf’s unique artistic perspective on the complexities of love and attraction.
A descent into OnlyOneOf’s rich musical world-building is incomplete without their marvelous B-side tracks. Art-pop fan-favorite, “designer” proves that the quality of OnlyOneOf’s discography is consistent across the board. The track’s melancholic synths whine over an erratic drum pattern, eventually exploding into a funky bass groove as the member’s signature velvet vocals whisper their wishes to “design” their loved one in a self-centered attempt to bridge the gap between them. Through their 2020 album series ‘Produced by ,’ the group expanded the boundaries of their musical identity by working with various famous producers in the Korean R&B scene, including GRAY and GroovyRoom. Thanks to the seamless collaboration between K-R&B producer BOYCOLD and the group’s long-term producer Haeil, “designer” achieves just that.
- OnlyOneOf’s fandom name is “lyOn.” It holds the meaning that the fans of OnlyOneOf always protect and support the group, “like a lyOn.”
- The group debuted entirely as adults.
- Since the release of ‘Instinct Pt. 1,’ the group’s units are as follows: Yoojung and KB, Nine and Mill, and Junji and Rie.
- As trainees, the members shared a company with LOONA. They participated in several projects with the group before their debut. All of the members apart from Mill starred alongside LOONA in the web drama Do You Remember When We First Met, also known as “Woomana.”
- Love was also the male lead of Vivi’s debut music video, “Every Day I Love You.” He received help from Yoojung for choreographing the dance scene.
- The entire group starred in the 2023 BL, Bump Up Business, with Nine and Mill as the leads.
- At a time when their debut almost fell through, Yoojung and Rie made a pact to become YouTubers together.
- “chaotic” by ODD EYE CIRCLE was a candidate for OnlyOneOf’s debut title track.
- Another candidate for the group’s name was “nex.”
- In February of 2020, OnlyOneOf held a competition for their hit single, “dOra maar,” offering $100,000 to the winner. Villain, a Korean R&B singer won the contest, which involved writing English lyrics for the track. The group released it on their 2023 mini album, ‘seOul cOllectiOn.’
THINGS TO WATCH!
It would be no exaggeration to say that OnlyOneOf have mastered the art of covers in K-Pop. From dance covers to re-arranged vocal covers with choreography, to just vocal covers, they’ve hit every base you could think of and more! We’ve compiled one of each to give you a taste of the group’s artistic range:
OnlyOneOf’s dance cover of the 2018 hit “MALAMENTE” is still their most-viewed video to date, with 14 million views on YouTube. As stated by the description, the cover is an expression of respect towards Rosalia, who has heavily influenced OnlyOneOf’s visual and thematic language. The group delivers an intimate and moody performance with ease, citing genderless transcendence as part of their unique delivery of the choreography.
‘Dolphin’ by OH MY GIRL took the K-Pop world by storm in 2020. OnlyOneOf completely flip the bright and catchy track on its head in their rearranged vocal and dance cover, rendering it almost unrecognizable. The charmingly sensual cover maintains all the addictive qualities of the original while stamping the group’s unshakable sense of identity over it.
The members of OnlyOneOf have individually covered countless songs as well, constantly paying their respects to the artists they look up to. Junji being the group’s resident ARMY, flawlessly delivers a rendition of Jimin’s “Like Crazy” in this artfully self-directed video.
‘Produced by [myself]’ contest
OnlyOneOf’s 2021 contest, ‘Produced by [myself]’, is a testament to the group’s self-sufficiency as well as the close relationship they have with their fans. Each team had two weeks to complete the challenge after concluding their final promotional stage for ‘libidO. In that time, they were tasked to produce a song up to the first verse for voting by fans, company staff, and Creative Director Jaden Jeong. The winning team’s song would become an official single release sung by the entire group. The ‘Produced by [myself]’ contest videos are a great showcase of the group’s competitive spirit, humor, and collaborative talent!
FOLLOW ONLYONEOF’S SOCIALS!